Saturday, July 21, 2007

SEEP Picnic

Kids watching the talent competition
Potato curry
All of the kids from the SEEP classes


A boy and girl in the dance competition
Shanti and Me
A little girl carrying her baby brother


Saturday I went to the CWISH Self-Education Employment Program picnic. The program gives child laborers in government schools vocational training so they can be more independent. The kids had learned to cook food so they made a bunch of food to show off their talents. It was also a much needed day of games and fun for a lot of them. The kids had singing and dancing competitions. Singing and dancing is big here, ala bollywood. One of the kids I talked to said his employers never let him leave the house, so this was great. It rained, the mosquitoes were insane, and a bee got stuck in my flip flop and stung me 3 times, but other than that it was fun. We played this game where everyone a person gets blind folded and given a stick. You have to walk like 100 feet and try and break a clay pot. There isn't candy inside, but it doesn't change the fact that it's fun to break things.
Everyone here gets thier clothes made, so since I have so much trouble finding things to fit my sasquatch figure, I thought I'd try it. I'm getting three dresses made but it's taking longer than it should, so I'm a little nervous. The fabric was kind of expensive so I hope they turn out. I'll need something to wear to graduation and all of your weddings that are happening or will inevitably happen in the next year or two. Who knows, maybe I'll get married one of these days, but I'm not promising anything next time.


1 comment:

Katie said...

I have a clay pot or two I will donate if you ever want to play that game when you come home. There are plenty of sticks in the yard that we can use. I am prepared.