Thursday, July 19, 2007

All Nepalied up and no place to go










Last night I went with Writtu to her friends to get my hands hennaed. She is getting her degree in Public Health and all her friends go to her school and stay in a girls' hostel. There is a festival right now, Hariyali Teej. The festival commemorates the abundance of greenery and good harvest after the monsoon. Women wear green colored clothes, green bangles and decorate their hands with mehandi patterns. Green is my favorite color and dressing up is fun, so I'm all for it. The girls said the darker the henna, the more your husband will love you.

I had a lot of fun. I was in need of some girl time. Even though they were all in their twenties, they told me that their parents will be angry if they know they have boyfriends and boys aren't' allowed near the hostel. They wanted to know all about David and if my parents knew about him. They thought it was romantic that he was an artist. If you look close at my right hand, you can see where they drew a D. It was interesting to talk to them about life as a twenty -something Nepali college girl. In the states girls are really encouraged to go to school, here college isn't so common for girls. They were all really sweet.
Yesterday we finished all 50 of the interviews for success stories of CWISH programs. It's a relief to finally be done. For the next two weeks I'll write another newsletter, edit the stories and work on the school health report. After that, I get on an airplane, whoo hoo.

5 comments:

La said...

I frikin' love henna! I've always wanted to have some super cool patterns drawn all over my hands, feet... and whatever else they want to do.... that doesn't sound bad, does it? Enjoy the rest of your time!

melissa said...

your hands look purdy. i know that you've had some shitty times over there, what with the strikes and the gross-o toilets, but i'm totally jealous of your adventure. : )

Leah Billings said...

How cool! I've always admired the intricacy of henna patterns on people's hands. How long does it last?

Two weeks is nothing! You've got this one in the bag. Way to go Chandle, a.k.a. Miss saving the world one country at a time.

Elizabeth Spann said...

Wow- that design is beauuuutiful! That sounds like fun, your girl time. Two weeks is nothin'! You're on your way!

Christin said...

i'm so jealous! i want real henna designs on my hands and feet. i'll see you soon!