Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Old lady: take one






So, the scariest part of my trip is finally here. I am stranded in a country with no blond hair dye. I stood under a fluorescent light today and was completely shocked. I haven't seen this much of my natural hair in probably six years. It is at least 1/2 gray. I love you dad, but no thanks for the genes. David says I should rock the gray, but I feel like it just makes me look 10 years older. I also have to cover up an unsightly blemish in the middle of my forehead with bindi and someone told me I needed to lose weight yesterday. Nepal hasn't done much for my appearance. My beauty sleep was also interrupted this morning b/c someone was using a buzz saw on my roof at 6:30 in the morning.

Leah was asking about Nepali food and I decided I would tell you a little bit about it. Most Nepalese people eat rice and lentils around 10am, a snack at around 1 or 2pm and dinner at around 8 or 9pm. Most people eat rice and lentils or Dahl(soup) Bhatt (Rice) every single day. I am lucky enough to have a little variety in my life because Khrisna usually make me Roti or bread and Dhal with lots of spices in it. We always have a vegetable like potato curry or okra as well. Every once in awhile we'll have some meat in our dahl.

Nepal is made up of several different ethnic groups and Newari food is also very prevalent here. Potato Chilly is my favorite Newari food and it is made with onions, potatoes, chili peppers, and tomatoes. It's really good. I also love momos as you all know. They are like dumplings with a spicy tomato dipping sauce. If you want to learn how to make momos you can go to this website http://newafood.blog.com/2006/7/

Yum Yum. Most of Nepalese food is like a mix between Chinese, Tibetian and Indian food. All of the food is really healthy. We eat a lot of vegetables and things are rarely fried. Dessert here is weird, like balls of sticky rice so I just avoid it. I can't wait for my mom's chocolate pie and homemade banana ice cream.

2 comments:

Leah Billings said...

So interesting...thanks for the info. Out of all the ethnic foods I've learned about over the years, nobody does dessert like us Americans. It's good stuff (though rarely good for you...unfortuantely).

Christin said...

ohmygod, do your sticky rice balls also come with "mung beans" inside of them? i do not understand how anything with mung beans inside could be considered dessert.