Sunday, June 03, 2007

Say yes to life, Britney Spears.








Yesterday it rained, which was really nice b/c it cooled everything off. It’s like Kathmandu is this huge frying pan, and we dropped it in a sink full of cold water. I’ve been really sick for a few days. Let’s not go into detail, but it’s bad in every way. I also discovered that my collective fees for using the ATM is 12 US dollars a transaction and I've already had 3 transactions, so $36. boo

I went to Bhaktapur on Saturday and loved it. It’s this really old (14th century?) city with cobblestone streets and no cars. I found a lot of great souvenirs there and saw a lot of wonderful temples. The tallest temple in Nepal is there and they say that each level hold a figure 10 times stronger than the one below it. They also have this creepy green pond that has 2 large snake statues in it. They say that a priest went down to the water to become a serpent and he was supposed to scare off the real serpent or something. His assistant was supposed to feed him this food so he could become a priest again, but when he saw the snake he was so scared he ran away, leaving the priest a giant snake forever. (I knew you’d like that Elizabeth). Excuse the picture of me, I was sick, and it was at least 100 degrees and my pants are 2 sizes too big.

This group of Nepalese people stopped me, and I thought they wanted me to take their picture, but then they posed next to me while one of them took a picture. It was like I was Britney Spears or something, which, might I add, is still the hottest pop star in Nepal. Along with her, the teenagers wear shirts with Michael Jackson, Kurt Cobain, and well, more Britney Spears on them. Another really weird thing is these cigarette adds everywhere that say “Say yes to life” and underneath them say “Smoking is injurious to your health”.

It’s been a pretty quiet weekend. Next week starts the work on the World Day against Child Labor Newsletter, the week after that I’m finishing up. The week after that I’m going to Chitiwan and Pokhara for a 7 day “holiday” and then I come back and work until I leave. I hope everyone at home is doing well. I miss you.

P.S. I sent everyone who sent me their address or whose address I knew postcards yesterday. Maybe you'll get them before I come home.


2 comments:

Chandle said...

woo hoo, skinny! Maybe then I really will look like Britney Spears. I would have to shave my head though and obtain a scary addiction to Coca Cola and energy drinks.

Elizabeth Spann said...

Ummm that snake pond is scary. You haven't seen any snake charmers or anything have you? :) Tell them Elizabeth doesn't like it.
You're a superstar! I love it that they wanted to take a picture with the tall blonde girl. How fun.
I am so very impressed with your pictures. You're going to have to figure out something cool to do with them when you get home. They're beautiful! And so are you!