Monday, June 11, 2007

Bandh IV, the monsoon walk


So today is the World Day Against Child Labor, but somebody else called a bandh and there is no driving. This is getting reeeeaaaallly old. I have to walk 4 miles to the convention center for the program and then home and it's pouring rain. I also feel like the day is kinda ruined for the kids since they can't make it there easily either. I'm reading all your blogs a lot, but for some reason it is really hard to post comments on them. It just tries and tries to load for ridiculous amounts of time.

I wouldn't be on the Internet so often, but I'm a little starved for meaningful, understood interaction. Ninety-five percent of the words I hear all day are Nepali, of which I can only say maybe 7 words, so I'm alone with my thoughts too often. I have to read about what your doing to stay sane. The letters are totally different though and look close to Sanskrit writing. I can't read anything. Check out the alphabet above, one of the letters has 4 letters used to pronounce it.


Here are the words I know:

Hello/ goodbye: Namaste

Thank You: Dhanyabad (pronounced donyabod)

Little boy: Babul

that's enough: pugyo (pronounce poogyo)

how much?: Kati

pretty: Ramro (pronounced rumrow)

yes: Cha

no: ni or something that sounds like china

Tea without milk: Fica te

Breakfast and dinner: Dalbat

Bread: Roti


Try having a conversation with these words, "how much is breakfast no tea without milk little boy thank you bread yes?" It doesn't work so well. Everyone in Little Rock, please go see the Hold Steady and think of me. And now for my favorite line from a Hold Steady song: "I came over the counter just to kiss you." and yes, kids, if there was a counter, I would jump it just to talk about the weather.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Spann said...

Wow, they really need to stop doing that and let a sister get a ride to work, yo!
Love and miss you.

Mari said...

Chan-del: I speak the language here and I still don't know what's going on half the time. Don't feel bad! Today I talked with someone who said English is hard to learn because we speak too fast, and I said no Spanish is hard to learn because they speak too fast! Haha! So goes communication I guess. Don't feel bad, I read everyone's blog too. Its hard to not have anyone who gets you! I miss you chica, stay strong!