Monday, June 11, 2007

Say Pashupatinath 3 times fast












This weekend was really good. I got a chance to sleep off the respiratory infection I got from breathing in fumes of Black Death from the ancient buses that barrel down the roads here. I also got a chance on Sunday to visit Patan, a city close to Kathmandu with a lot of temples and metalwork. I got to see three snake charmers there play wooden flutes and irritate black cobras. I also got a chance to wear a python as a necklace. Elizabeth, avert your eyes, snakes appear to be a plenty in Nepal. They even have a festival here were you leave out food for the snakes. Anyway, I ran into an engineering student from Germany, Frank, and we paired up to extend our trip to Bouda and Pashupatinath and back to Thamel. The weather cooperated and we only got rained on a little bit. At Pashupatinath we saw a couple of Hindu funerals, where they take the shrouded body and cremate it with logs near the river. I was totally creeped out. I also saw a lot of monkeys, way more monkeys than the “monkey temple” at Swambudynath. There were several super cute baby monkeys there too. It was a nice day; I felt better; I finally met a nice person to take my picture, and I walked off all the chocolate cake I ate at lunch.

3 comments:

Leah Billings said...

Your face in the snake picture is priceless. Sounds like things are going well. Glad to hear it.

Katie said...

hey skinny. you look great!

Elizabeth Spann said...

UMMMMNMMMM yeah, thanks for the "avert your eyes warning" AFTER posting the pictures. Thank you very much for the nightmares I will be having tonight, where either I am being squeezed by your "necklace" or you are being eaten by a cobra in a basket. That should be pleasant.
:)
DO NOT PARTICIPATE in that nutso festival. What is UP with that place?? Thank goodness in Arkansas we don't do such things. :)