Thursday, June 14, 2007

Pin the public intoxication on the horse


Today I was working on the newsletter, when everyone ran to the window. On the street there were massive amounts of Maoist chanting. I'm not sure what's wrong now, but I walked home. Because of the monsoon, the road to work looks like this. Yuck. I saw someone pooping in the street yesterday. The chances of poop, chicken guts, and various other bacteria floating in the water here is pretty high. This causes a lot of disease, leading to the Nepalese calling the monsoon the season of the dead. Prakash says they have a festival where they take a blind horse and get it drunk. After this they mess with the horse all day. This somehow commemorates the dead. I request that someone please keep this tradition at my funeral one day.

6 comments:

Leah Billings said...

Does the women realize she's about to get sprayed with muddy water from the motor cycle behind her?? Yikes about the poo! That is how the majority of diseases are spread in less developed countries now a days.
P.S. We got your postcard!! What fun. Thanks for sending us one.

Mari said...

Chan-del: Boo on poo! I am so sorry, but just think now you can say that you seen everything! Hah! I am so sorry that you have to walk through yucky water and I hope that you have some airborne to take so that you don't get sick! Maybe you should have went on preventative antibiotics before you left? Be strong!

Anonymous said...

Thank god some folks still know how to party! That applies to the post card you sent me too. Alas when I'm killed while breeding elephants, I wish a drunken horse at my funeral too. Keep up the good blogging! All of us sitting at a desk, driving in a car, and eating and drinking without hesitation appreciate your hard work. It reminds us both how lucky we are, and what fun we are missing out in.

Elizabeth Spann said...

He's right. :)
Watch your step out there!!

Chandle said...

LOVE the new name, Jerm

Anonymous said...

WOW! I haven't been online as much lately but i'm trying to catch up. Your in a land of 2 Extremes.