Thursday, August 30, 2007

Come on down Labor day


I've been working hard on my capstone. Most of the time, I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to understand Independent Living philosophy, the different arms of IL and the rule governing how the different organizations can interact. It's mighty confusing. For instance, the Arkansas Independent living council is a mandated organization, but it's a non-profit, but its state funded, but it can't lobby or ask for funding, but it represents Centers for Independent Living, but they themselves do not provide direct services. See what I mean?

I'm having issues with financial aid, surprise surprise. I still find it hilarious that UALR says that a graduate student in AR only needs 9,625 dollars a year to meet the cost of living. Because I can't take out the maximum federal allowance of 20,000 a year, I can't take out a federal plus loan, which is supposed to give graduates a little extra money. I can only borrow what UALR considers my cost of living. I also find it ironic that UCA considers the cost of living in Conway more than the cost of living in Little Rock. I sure hope my old, beat up Pontiac with 93,000 miles on it decides to hold up a little longer, despite the perpetual check engine light that just keeps shining at me. If that thing goes, I'm just going to have to start hitchhiking. Maybe my mom can sell me a scooter to get by on, that is if the 400 extra dollars I'll have after rent, food and bills will pay for it. Better yet, I'll get an ox and do what these guys did. I think that thing is street legal. If anyone has any odd jobs, will work for gas money. Arghhhhh

And now for something completely different. Did you guys here about that boy with Autism who was the manger of his high school basketball team, and when they finally let him play, he scored 20 points in 4 minutes tying the game? This kid is awesome, and here's the news story http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2352763 It happened last year, but I just heard about it yesterday.

Hey operator won't you put me on through I gotta send my love down to Baton Rouge. I'm headed to good ol' Louisiana tomorrow for some labor day fun or watching a lot of dvds. I'll be back on Tuesday, and I've got some juvenile fiction on CD to keep me company. Harry Potter got me all amped up, so I'm listening to the Wrinkle in Time books.

4 comments:

kristen said...

love love love those wrinkle in time books. man, i could read those over and over again.

Unknown said...

chandle--call the financial aid office and demand to speak to someone about your cost of living. explain how the demands of school prohibit you from seeking employment and that it is creating difficulty for you to focus on your studies when you are constantly worried about money. it totally worked for me. i basically ordered the dude to increase the cost of living line for me in my last year of the msw program, because they totally gave me the shaft. i may have had to put something in writing, and it didn't happen over night, but it definitely got me some extra money. i mean, what difference does it make to the school? it's the bank lending you money, and they're going to be making money off of you anyway.

La said...

Watch out, if Al Gore's crystal ball is correct, then we'll all be driving oxen-conversion-semi-cabs. ;-)

Leah Billings said...

Medicinal chemistry seems like a piece of cake compared to that independent living stuff! :) Drive safely and enjoy your weekend.