Thursday, August 02, 2007

Mama, I'm comin home.


This picture is of every child I interviewed for the Case Stories Kids at a government school
Here is the CWISH staff and me.
Writtu, Smriti and Shanti at my going away dinner.

Well, that's it. It's over. I spent 11 weeks alone in a third world country after one of the roughest years of my life. It was profound. I feel like I can do anything now. I've made achievements personally that I never thought I could. I also feel liked I helped a lot of great kiddos. In a few short weeks I grew considerably as a person, wrote two very large papers (one is over 100 pages double spaced and the other is 88), got to ball rolling on a children's book about child labor, interviewed 50 child laborers and took 30 of their stories and made a publication to advocate for education, created two newsletters that have received positive feedback from dozens of countries, survived a parasite, given elephants a bath, learned to take a shower with a bucket of cold water, and not to totally freak out when everything is going wrong. I also lost a couple of pounds, bought a ton of presents, and learned that there is more to life than I ever could have imagined.

CWISH through me a nice going away dinner and gave me some gifts. They are really wonderful people, and I can't help but feel a little guilty that I can so easily go back to the US, when there are lines of people wanting to only get a chance to visit. I'm getting on a plane in 9 hours and getting off in 28. I can't wait to see all of you in the states, and I'll miss all of you in Nepal.
Love, Chandle

3 comments:

Katie said...

Chandle, you have done an awesome job this summer and I am so proud of you! I can't wait to see you (neither can Gator)! Holt says hi and have safe and happy travels across all of those time zones.

Elizabeth Spann said...

I am proud too! My little Chandle, all growns up and changing the world! Travel safely, and I can't wait to see you!
PS, mmm Carlsberg beer, I think that's from Denmark- I think it's their Miller Lite (but tasty). ;)

melissa said...

sounds like you're made of some tough stuff. breathe deeply... i'm sure that you've changed some lives.