Saturday, June 03, 2006

How much do I love this job?




We finished the Blitz build today. 14 house are significantly started and at least 6 are almost completely done, garden, flag, mailbox and all. I got to witness 4 house dedications where, at each one, someone thanked NCCC. How is it, that 30 NCCC members can get together, plan and set up building sites for 14 houses and 2 weeks and 350 kind-hearted volunteers later, 4 families have homes? This is what I do for a living. I built houses for 14 families. I served food to people in the wake of a hurricane. I gave kids that haven't ever had anyone give them the attention they needed,the attention that they needed. I rebuilt the homes of rural families affected by hurricane Rita, and now, I get to head to Pennsylvania to build hiking trails that will always be there for anyone to take a walk on. I have the best job in the whole world.

P.S. I also get to sweep so hard that the head of the broom falls off, see above picture.

2 comments:

Leah Billings said...

You're amazing!

Elizabeth Spann said...

I fall more and more in love with you every day...