Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Hardest Day in AmeriCorps






In order to prevent erosion of the trails, trees, yes I said trees, need to be embedded, horizontally, in the soil. The part of the trail that needs this, happens to be up the mountain. Our sponsor thought it would be better to get the worst out of the way so we decided to move all of the logs for this project, yesterday. My team carried 10 trees up Mount Misery (that's really the name) yesterday. These trees weigh any where from 600-1200 pounds. I have never done anything so physically taxing as hauling those "evil logs" up that mountain. I thoroughly respect the soldiers that built 1,000 log cabins here and anyone who has ever built a hiking trail. For now, I will thank the Lord that we have hauled our last log, and start on removing invasive vegetation tomorrow. I need a break from lumberjacking.

On a good note, the weather here is perfect. I will be home in a little more than a month and cannot wait to get settled. Someone I know is turning 47 today! Happy Birthday, Daddy!

2 comments:

Leah Billings said...

I don't mind manual labor unless it involves "uphill". I'm glad you made it through. I can only imagine how greuling it was.

Elizabeth Spann said...

Happy late birthday, Terry!

I can't wait for you to come home, Chandle. It's so soon!