Monday, October 10, 2005

Too busy to sleep

Hey guys,
Once again, I apologize for not updating, but any time I have to post, I'd usually rather be sleeping. I will be home for Christmas break from Dec 21-Jan 8th. I should be in the little rock area at some point to get my tooth put in.
Besides the million things we do a day, after training, even if I worked 47 hours a week, I would still be short on the 1700 service hours we have to earn in 10 months. 80 of those hours have to be independent, so if you know any good non-profits in the area, I might be able to earn some hours from them. I also am an R.A. so I have to keep up with the duties that go with that. On each team we are assigned specialty roles and those involve a lot of planning and homework too. On top of it all I am doing physical training 5 days a week, working on career goals, and trying to visit the entire east coast on the 14 dollars a day we get paid (19 if you include our food allowance). I don't know how I'm going to fit it all in.
We had to run 1.5 miles this morning do as many push ups and sit ups as we could and then we went on a 9 hour scavenger hunt in the city. The team picture below is one from the FDR memorial in the D.C. mall. It's really beautiful. There are quotes from President Roosevelt and the First Lady etched into walls of stone. This weekend I actually had time to grab a couple of beers, but it took so long to get to the bars in Georgetown, that the trip was 4 hours. I'm getting used to the metro system and I'm making some good friends. After 12 am the bus stops running to D.C. village where I live and drops you off about 2 blocks up a hill. The police call that hill "murder hill" so you can imagine why anything after 12 requires a cab ride. Unfortunately, the cab drivers won't go to Anacostia unless you get in and close the door and then tell them. It makes them angry, but once you're in they have to take you. I can't believe I live in a place that cabs won't go. Tomorrow is another full day so I think I'm going to go to bed. I love you guys, except for you anonymous, you're hateful and stupid.

4 comments:

Leah Billings said...

Your neighborhood sounds scary, but I'm glad you're doing well otherwise.

Unknown said...

hey, i've got a ranch pal that lives in bethesda (i think that's where he is...). do you want me to see if he wants to swap info (not in a datey way...), he might could help you find some independant volunteer work.

Nacho Lover said...

Oh, don't worry--you will have more than enough hours.

I did NCCC at Perry Point in 2002. It was an incredible experience and it sounds like yours is off to a great start too. Best of luck!

My whole campus not only fulfilled the 1700-hour requirement, but nearly all of us also got the Presidential Service award, which is at 1800 (I think) hours. PT should count as indirect service, and some of your projects will involve a ton of overtime. No worries!

Chandle said...

Thanks for the tip Jules!