Thursday, May 24, 2007

The road to Kathmandu IS very long

this is my hair after a bucket.
p.s. no other pics would upload, sorry.
Namaste!
Okay, I am finally here and over the jet lag and over the altitude sickness. My flight over was insane. I ended up staying the night in Bahrain which at first was scary and confusing and then later nice. My flight to Kathmandu was 9 hours later than I had expected. I could see Mt. Everest over the clouds when we flew in though, and that was amazing. I haven’t started work yet since I needed a day to get acclimated, but I start today. People here are very laid back, schedules are loose, things change constantly, and no one is in a hurry. I think their stress level must be zero, I wish it would wear off on me. It’s a hard adjustment, but I think it will be a good one.
I am staying with Shanti and her son and husband. She has a huge house and I am renting a room on the 4th floor. The pictures are of the house and my room. It is very hot right now and no one has air conditioning. The internet is VERY VERY SLOW and not wireless. Skype is virtually useless so you won’t be able to call me. I have tried to post on my blog twice and it hasn’t worked. I really hope it works this time. I need to talk to Shanti’s son about the best place for internet. He is sixteen and out of school due to the teacher strike. Yesterday we watched Nepali VH1 and he could play virtually every song that came on with his guitar. Her Daughter is in Utah
I’m finally getting over the culture shock. I was flying for so long and I was so tired I kinda had a little bit of a crying fit at the end of the day. I was so confused and no one told me what was happening. Everyone is so nice to me, but I just felt so lost and out of place. I’m doing much better now.
The pollution is very bad in the main parts of town. Most people speak English but there are also long bouts of Hindi and Nepali spoken in between. The power goes out for 2 hours in the evening. Not using toilet paper is not cool, but it will stop me from biting my nails I guess J. The shower is a bucket you fill up with cold water and dump on your head; I’m not kidding. It is taking me a little bit to get used to the food. I think I’ve already lost 5 pounds. When I told Shanti I was going to lose weight she said "your mother will think I haven’t been feeding you." There is a white Pomeranian type dog in one of the down stairs levels. He’s cute and makes me miss Rocky (p.s. spell check tried to capitalize miss, so it would be Miss Rocky). I am getting a cell phone in a few days and have decided that since internet sucks here, and is great in the states, so David and my parents need to buy a Nepalese number for their computers and I can call them. ( just to be sure guys, it will look like +977). It is very expensive to talk to the states on a cell phone here. To call from a phone in Thamel (a 3 dollar cab ride away) It is 30 rupees per minute (50 cents) and you have to talk in front of a crowd of people. Some time before the rains, in the next week or two, I want to fly up to Mt. Everest. On the weekends I want to see the temples and gardens in Kathmandu. Towards the end of my trip I am planning on taking a tour (with a group) up to Poukara and Chitiwan national park to ride the elephants and see the sunrise. It will be hot and rainy but I don’t want to miss out. I bought a fan yesterday for 20 dollars, very pricey for Nepal. It was the cheapest one they had but it is the best purchase I have ever made. I’m also getting some Saris made. The material and tailoring for each one was 17 dollars. I am getting 2 to wear to work, one is green and the other is turquoise, surprise surprise.
On another note, I really do miss all of you. I never have been so solitary. I know I’ll fit in soon, but you’re my crew, and I miss you….and shower heads…and toilet paper.

6 comments:

Mari said...

Chan-del: We miss you too, the girls will soon be reunited! Stay strong sweety you can do it!

A D R said...

Glad to hear you are on the ground. Power is interesting here in Kosovo/Serbia as well. Gives whole new meaning to "Building infrastructure capacity"

Leah Billings said...

It's good to know that you made it okay. It sounds like you doing well so far under the circumstances. Try not to be lonely, cause we all miss you too and you'll be home sooner than you think. I bet you're gonna have some totally cool experiences over there.

Elizabeth Spann said...

That's AWESOME that you get to ride elephants, Miss Chandle. That's your favorite animal! :) Take pictures of you in a sari. I can't wait to see. The house sounds great- and the family sounds like they're taking really good care of you. I'm so glad.
The part about stopping biting your nails because of lack of toilet paper made me gag just a little bit- in true Chandle-style!
We love and miss you, & we're stinkin' proud of you!! Thanks for posting. :)

Anonymous said...

yea it is so good to hear from you. i vote for lots of pictures of saris as well. it sounds like a different world. i can't wait to hear more.

Pastor Paul said...

Hu jambo, bebe! Greetings from Tanzania.
Here's two tips you may have already picked up on: keep your nails trimmed, and remember which hand you are to eat with...
I'll post tomorrow, but wanted to confirm that you are missed as well, but i am sure they are loving you there and you will be blessed through it all.

Kwaheri,

Paul