Saturday, May 26, 2007

Buddhas and temples and monkeys, oh my



Hey guys,


Upon revisiting my project, CWISH and I have decided to revamp. For 2 days a week I will be working on a school health report that is completed and compiling the results into a final report. 3 days a week I will be interviewing child domestic laborers with interesting stories of hardship and success to create a booklet of case studies. I'm really excited.


I'm getting much more used to everything, but my stomach isn't. Also the heat and the altitude, not to mention how hilly everything is, is very tiring.


Today I went to the Monkey temple. Unfortunately, it was almost too hot for the monkeys. You climb 365 steps to the top of a natural hill, said to be a gift from the gods. Once you reach the top you see a large buddhist temple, 2 monistaries, and a hindu temple, not to mention a monkey swimming pool. As I was climbing, i must have looked tired b/c a holy man came over and blessed me with a tiki, those red dots on the forehead. He said it brought good luck, and then later I got really sick, so maybe not. In fact, I still do not feel great.


I have a cell phone now, but its crazy expensive to call the states. If you have something like skype on your computer, you can buy a little credit and call for .2 cents a minute. My number is 009779803441959.


today in the market and older hindu woman told me, (in mostly nonverbal language) that my chest was very big and was I going to have a baby.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Oh Chan-del. Well, I say big chests are good. And, maybe the baby is the blessing the tiki brought! Be safe! I miss you.

Elizabeth Spann said...

Here are my thoughts reading this post:
Awww Chandle's learning so much there. Oh, how cool! A monkey pool! Awww, someone blessed her. HA HA HA HA HA dear Lord someone told her that her chest is big.
That's my Chandle! ;)