Thursday, May 31, 2007

Attack of the 50 ft woman








r


So I know that I'm tall, but I haven't been this self concious about it since I was 10. I am a giant here. The average Nepali woman is 5'3" and probably weighs 100 pounds, the average Nepali man is 5'6". I can hardly fit into door frames, I have to buy the biggest size male flip flops they have, they make my cortas and have to let them out and everyone groans when I get on the microbus. My head touches the ceiling. Most of the buses are really crowded with people standing. They point me to a "seat" that is maybe 2 inches wide and I have to try and not fall out the door. Putting bangles on my huge hands is an ordeal and the cook and my house mother both have to help.
On another note, after work I went to the famous Boudanath Stupa. It's a huge Buddhist temple with several monastaries around. It was beautiful. I took some pictures and here they are. The air was clean and people weren't trying to sell me things. It was really nice. My work right now isn't exciting. I am just typing up the numbers from a survey into written form. I have almost 40 pages now and have a lot more to go.

There is supposed to be another strike tomorrow with no driving. This time the indigenous people are mad about thier representation in the government. I might be stuck at home, but I can type numbers there. I bought some toilet paper. You just don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. I had to go to a fancy store :).
I tried to register with the embassy today. I took a taxi there and then they said to go to this hotel. I took a taxi to the hotel and they said to come back later even though they are open. I guess things just work differently here, but I'm out 6 bucks and I have to go back later. Boo. I'll update in a few days. I"m going to Bakthapur on Saturday. It is a very old place where cars aren't allowed inside. It'll be nice to leave the pollution.

There is also a picture of my workspace. Yep, in Nepal you sit in the floor and the Didi (big sister) is always giving us tea. We don't drink coffee; we drink tea. I'm not gonna lie, I miss my coffee.

Just so everyone knows, Shanti, Prakash, Krisna, Milan, Ritu and Smriti are taking excellent care of me. They help me with everything, give me food to eat and water to drink and send people with me everywhere. They also know my cell phone and will call if I am late. I feel very safe, so DON'T WORRY about me, okay. Besides, I'm a huge person, I'm like the Chuck Norris of volunteers. I miss you , I love you, and I'll be home soon.

P.S. I am the worst self-portrait taker ever, but I don't trust anyone with my camera :) here's to countless pictures of half my face, which makes it about the size of a Nepalese face.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Spann said...

You make me laugh, Miss Chandle. I'm so very glad they're all taking care of you. Wear some heels and really freak them out over there. :) Just kidding.
Your pictures are amazing (well, maybe not the self portrait ones per say, but the other ones, hee hee). Keep em coming- even the ones of your half face!

ossupov said...

This is the funniest blog I have ever read this year..You are such a great story teller. I am smiling right now, picturing you among all Nepal ladies who might be as tall as me. I miss you. You are a great lady, people must love you there. DC is not as great as Nepal. Nothing much to tell. Muah.