Monday, February 20, 2006

Thanks for being so straight



There is definitely a kink in my plan. Remember how we were going to Cleveland? Well now, surprise surprise, we have no idea where we’re going. Headquarters is freaking out because our funding is cut for next year so 80% of the entire NCCC Corps is being shipped back down to the gulf for the remainder of our term of service. Rumors are surfacing about a tent in fema tent city, New Orleans to house 500 various AmeriCorps members. Basically, we don’t know where we’re going, who we’re going to be working with, what we are doing, or for how long. In fact, spring break could be changed or cancelled. I might not get to see David. I really can’t bare the thought of it.
Talk about becoming more flexible. I am sad about not going to Cleveland and not getting to work with Habitat, but if this is really where we’re needed I’ll go; I’ll be more flexible and learn to accept change and by the end of this year, I won’t be phased if a bomb lands on my house and everything I own is destroyed resulting in me quitting graduate school, dating a hobo, and becoming a tattoo artist who sells hats I’ve made on the side. I’ll try to keep you posted with various uncertain information.
Today I had one of those "I can't believe I'm actually in AmeriCorps" moments. I worked at a black history month swim meet in DC timing kids swimming relay races. Hundreds of little children in bathing suits, speedos, and aquaman suits swimming with shake that laffy taffy in the background, and me with a stopwatch and really long khaki shorts on. It was surreal

On a funny note, we all went out to eat the other day, and the waitress was handing us our drinks. Christina, meaning to say “thanks for being so sweet” says “thanks for being so straight,” and then gives the waitress the thumbs up. What? On top of everything the poor woman had really short hair.

P.S. grey's anatomy is my favorite show, and I want to marry George. Why doesn't Meredith just get it together and see what a handsome wonderful man he really is?

6 comments:

Leah Billings said...

I can imagine how maddening it is to not know what to expect next. You sound like you're doing a good job of keeping your chin up though. I <3 Grey's Anatomy to the max! Did you see it last night? Meredith is totally gonna break George's heart.

Unknown said...

i love the george. but i think he and meredith would be all wrong. and don't forget, keep on keepin on

Elizabeth Spann said...

Wow... sounds like you're going through a lot right now. Good and bad... I think that everything will work out just fine and your spring break won't be cancelled and you'll do some awesome projects down there. And your housing won't be crappy. I can feel it.
George is my boyfriend. I love him deeply. Meredith is going to stomp on him because as soon as McDreamy finds out he's going to get jealous and she'll go a-running back to him. Don't we always want what we can't have?

Elizabeth Spann said...

And, Chandle-
Thank YOU for being so straight.
HA!

Anonymous said...

I must say that you are the only person that would be upset because your trip to Cleveland has been cancelled.

Listen to Ms. Elizabeth.

Two in a row does not mean I will be posting regularly.

Chandle said...

If you knew how happy it made me, you'd post all the time. :)