Tuesday, January 24, 2006

if a alligator chases you, run in a zig zag



So far this project is wonderful! Yesterday we helped this man with 2 little dogs that wouldn't get out of my lap. We replaced the siding that the flooding from Rita had destroyed. Most of the people here don't have flood insurance and in some places the water was 6 feet high inside the house. A lot of the community is made up of farmers who didn't have a lot of money to spare to begin with. We almost finished the siding, and we should go back soon to finish. Today we finished taking off the roof of Ms. Ena's house. She is 73 and has lived there for 40 years. The house was so beat up by Rita that they need to demolish it, but she just put the roof on 3 years ago and it's in good shape. We took it off so when she rebuilds here house she can still use the old roof. She bought us all hamburgers and had to be one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. There's plenty of work, the people and wonderful, I've met some great volunteers, and I get to hit stuff with a sledgehammer! Apparently we really need to watch for snakes though. A girl from the last team thought she had to power cord to a blender from the cabinet, it turned out to be a water moccassin ( I wish I could see Elizabeth's face right now) So far so good. I'll keep you posted on interesting events and my latest power tool mastering.
P.S. I am the upside down hammering master, and the sun reflects of white, metal rooftops, wear sunscreen
Love, redface

2 comments:

Leah Billings said...

Those dogs are so cute! I'm glad you enjoying this project. You'll have to build us all something when you get back into town now that you have construction skills.

Elizabeth Spann said...

I just peed a little bit in my pants.
EEEEEEEEW, sick!