Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A little bit of 80's childhood nostalgia


So, I'm out of school until Tuesday and I've kinda run out of things to do to keep myself busy, since I'm done sulking about my broken engagement. For some reason or another I began thinking about this 80's movie I'd seen as a kid. All I could remember was that it was scary, and had a little baby unicorn and he saved a girl from an evil baron-type guy. Well, thank god for internet. After I searched this a little, I found that several other people were on a quest for said movie. It turns out that it is one of the first anime dubbed movies released in the US and for some weird reason the Disney channel picked it up and showed it a few times between 81 and 85. The fact that I remember this movie and could have been no more than 4 years old is quite astounding. It's called Unico, and after so many people looked for it for so long, some kind soul posted it on Youtube to bring a little tear to my eye.

Unico is a young unicorn who has the ability to make people around him happy. Whether it's because of his personality or the power in his horn, it angers the gods, who think only they should decide whether people are happy. They tell the West Wind to take Unico and abandon him on the Hill of Oblivion, but instead she tries to hide him from the gods. Realizing the betrayal, they send the Night Wind to finish the job, forcing the West Wind to continually hide him.

She hides him in places where he comes into contact with a child-devil, a cat that wants to become a girl so she can become a witch, and an evil baron guy that rules the forest and tries to kill the ex-cat-girl-wanna-be-witch by getting her drunk and tying her to a rooftop. Unico tries to stop him but the baron turns into a giant evil jackal skeleton after Unico knocks him off to roof only to be impaled on another roof. It's a thrilling bit of the creepy cinematic experience I know all of us had growing up in the 80's. If you would like to watch the entirety of the Fantastic Adventures of Unico click here

Now that you all know my favorite childhood movie, Please list your most memorable creepy movie so I can attempt to find it and watch it on Youtube.

P.S. If you like movies about disturbing fairytales, you should all go see Pan's Labyrinth. It is a foreign film about a strange little girl. It's playing at Marketstreet on the 26th. Here's the website.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Spann said...

Favorite 80s creepy kids' movies?? That's too hard for me. Here are my tops:
1. The Neverending Story: this isn't a clip, but it's the video and hilarious to see a big-haired man singing the theme from the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzRm_Ut7HM
2. The Labrynth: David Bowie is the bad guy. How can that be wrong? "Dance, magic, dance!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVqEBLVBeP0
3. The Dark Crystal- I still have freaking nightmares about the Skeksies. CREEPY!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULCNKQWymQ
4. The Hugabunch, which we also had to internet hunt for. Thank God we figured it out. Not necessarily a favorite, but SCARY.
5. Gremlins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24CFZqSEAA
5. Babes in Toyland, starring Drew Barrymore and Keunu Reeves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4V5cebc30

The common thread?? Muppets and puppets. I could go on and on with this subject. I shall stop now.

Chandle said...

Great Comment, Beth!

Leah Billings said...

Gremlins was the first movie that I was officially afraid of. Someone gave me a Gremlins book shortly after I saw the movie, and I was so scared of the whole subject that I had to hide the book under my bookshelf because I thought that by having it out in the open it would make the gremlins more likely to come and get me while I slept.

katandkarl said...

two things:

1. oddly enuf my favorite 80s (animated) movie involves a unicorn. It is THE LAST UNICORN. and i am in love with it and watch it over and over to this day.

2. karl bought me this bag for christmas and you might need one as well: http://www.nataliedee.com/gallery-unicorn-tote-500.jpg

3. (shit! i know i said 2) i am also in love with labrynth .. ebeth brings up a great point - you can't go wrong with d. bowie.

Anonymous said...

When did you break off the engagement? How did I miss that?

Chandle said...

Kat, I got that same bag for my sister!

Anonymous: When David came home. I put a little post about it earlier. :(

Chandle said...

I just gave him the ring back and told him to give it back to me if he really wanted to get married.