Saturday, August 02, 2008

Last minute change

Okay, so Thursday I found out through a happenstance conversation that they never hired another self-contained teacher, and that I am the only one, leaving me with all grades and all 12 kids thus far. I also found out that almost all of the kids are 4-5th grade and are all boys. As most of you know, I was gung-ho ready for K-2. It's been a pretty big shock. Overnight I have to move from writing letters to writing essays and addition to geometry. Needless to say some of my Clifford decorations are a little kiddish since a lot of my kids may be teenagers. I'm taking the news surprisingly well though. I can use a lot of stuff that I couldn't with the little ones like interests surveys and, well anything with written word. Also, now I can read aloud fun books like Mania Magee and The Chronicles of Narnia. David helped me set my classroom up but it still needs a lot of work. For instance, I have about 12 kids and about 22 desks. This is a little annoying. Also I don't have a schedule, any of their individual education plans. I start school on Monday and the kids start on Thursday so wish me luck. I feel really unprepared now, and you know that makes me nervous :).

5 comments:

katandkarl said...

ugh. that is a shocker BUT you will be great!

Nick said...

you'll do great!!! I think I would be a little concerned if everything seemed perfect as the school year gets started.

Elizabeth Spann said...

I know you hate last-minute changes (or drastic changes), but you're going to be awesome at this, no matter the age or subject(s)! Be confident, and the kids are going to love you for sure. And so what if they think you're a little nuts with an odd obsession with Clifford? ;) Hee hee. Love you dearly, and I will be thinking about you next week. Call if you need any help with anything (in the form of questions, I mean). GOOD LUCK!!

Christin said...

Good luck, Chandle! It may not be a perfect situation, but I know that you will handle it perfectly!

Leah Billings said...

Everyone's right. You WILL be great. Good luck friend!